So you have a stunning 3D model. That's great. But now how do you leverage it to make better decisions about the project?
The quantity takeoff process will extract the model geometry and properties to deliver construction-caliber quanities. But these quantities need productivity rates and pricing to make them relevant for model-based scheduling and model-based estimating. By linking a knowledge base to the BIM, users can quickly tap existing project data.
What are the advantages? For one, an easier, yet more comprehensive way to develop conceptual estimates and iterative cost plans. Second, better negotiation with subcontractors. And third, the ability to do what-if scenarios with the Owner.
Clients can elect to start fresh with the Vico Library or utilize their Vico On-Site Project Manager to collect the data they already possess in-house.
The Vico Standard 5D Library gives users a standard collection of formulas and values suitable for linking 3D BIMs to Vico's 4D scheduling and 5D cost planning applications. The Library is organized by the set of activities required to construct each building element and the sequence in which these activities are performed. Included in the Library are average productivity rates by trade and standard forumulas for deriving labor and material resource requirements. By combining model-derived quantities and contractor-specified unit prices with the Vico Standard 5D Library, users are able to automatically calculate task durations for project schedules and costs for project estimates. Users can overwrite any part of the Vico Standard 5D Library with their own proprietary data or calculation method.
The Library provides
• Construction activity sets for over 3,000 building elements coded by CSI Uniformat
• Formulas to derive labor and material resources for over 6,000 individual construction activities classified by CSI MasterFormat
• Industry standard productivity rates and resource requirrements for over 2,500 project tasks
• A Vico schedule template to automatically project a cost-loaded flowline schedule
This service supports the Client’s efforts to implement Vico solutions and ensures:
• Set up of the knowledge base for estimating and scheduling purposes.
• Integrating the existing estimating database and activity list for scheduling in one single knowledge base.
• The internal deployment of model-based estimating and scheduling.
View demonstration (wmv)
For more information about Vico services: